Meet the real life “Forrest Gump” of the first half of the 20th Century
Part fairy tale, part crime novel, part rags to riches Hollywood myth, I Am Sophie
tells the outrageous story of one of showbiz’s biggest personalities.
From 1906 through the beginning of television, Sophie Tucker and her bawdy, brash, and risqué
paved the way for performers such as West, Monroe, Midler, Cher, Madonna, and Gaga.
After eight years spent reading hundreds of Tucker’s personal scrapbooks, visiting fourteen archives, and interviewing dozens of family, friends, and fellow icons of stage and screen, authors Susan and Lloyd Ecker have completed their first of three fictional memoirs about the Last of the Red Hot
“Sophie was like the Forrest Gump of the first half of the 1900s,” says co-author Susan Ecker. “She was close friends with seven presidents, King George VI, young Queen Elizabeth, Chaplin, J. Edgar, Capone, Garland, Jerry Lewis, Sinatra and every other notable of her era.”
Tucker tried to get her story published for nine years, without success. Undaunted, Sophie hired
half a dozen ghostwriters, but she still had no takers for her no holds barred autobiography. Eventually, Doubleday published a sanitized version in 1945.
“After immersing ourselves in Sophie’s papers and surviving friends,” says co-author Lloyd Ecker,
“this initial volume is what should have been the actual autobiography of Tucker.”
Though she obsessively documented her life, Sophie loved to exaggerate for dramatic effect. Over
years, she told multiple versions of each important event. At the end, not even Sophie knew the
difference between truth and tall tale.
“This volume is 85% fact,” Lloyd explains. “The other 15% …who knows?”
I Am Sophie Tucker puts back all of the delicious bits nixed by Doubleday’s lawyers and
throws in other Tucker show business dirt, intrigue, arrests, romance, murder, gangsters, and
scandals. Now you can read it all for yourself.